Saturday, August 8, 2009

Catching reality...with my chin!

It's been a while since I've put finger to keyboard here.

My comfortable life was interrupted by a move. For a number of reasons, my wife and I chose to rent rather than to buy a year ago. While we've avoided some exposure to a falling market, we've found out that we're still vulnerable. Our landlord put the house up for sale.

Now I'm a firm believer that stresses in life reveal our character. Moving is one such stress! But you don't get many moments for introspection while you're moving.

I found a moment to contemplate on Friday, the 31st. This was the day we were going to be out of the house since there was no sense in paying for two places at once.

I was preparing to wrap up the final challenge to the move: towing a just started VW bug project to our new digs. My mood was self-congratulatory since I felt that I had done what needed to be done and was on time.

I don't have a good history when it comes to moving. I've needed the help of friends and relatives more than one time. The fact is, I haven't asked for help the last two times I've moved--I feel like I've asked so much from those around me already.

The move before this one went better than the ones before, but there were still too many last minute trips to storage and to the dumpster. That is why Friday evening found me in a glow of pride. I was (finally) getting my act together. I just needed to move the bug and do some cleaning and we would be out!

The bug started making noise before I had gone a quarter of a mile, still in Middleton. I pulled over and looked things over. I figured the noise was the new wheel bearing because I couldn't see anything wrong.

I didn't make it out of Middleton. The right driver's side wheel of the bug passed me. Without the bug. I had seen the sparks and heard the noise and yanked over to the side of the road.

My tools were all in storage and the wrench I had wouldn't loosen wheel studs from the good wheels to put the wheel back on. I ended up knocking on a door and asking to leave the bug overnight. It was 10:30pm by the time I gave up.

I returned the next morning, bearing cinnamon rolls for the kind lady who hosted my bug. I found a couple wheel studs on and next to the road. I bought a tire iron and got that wheel back on. The bug towed like a dream, but it was the 1st. There was no joyful glow now. I missed my deadline. In fact, I hadn't gone back to clean the house the night before, so there was still work to do.

The moral I have received from all of this: Do what you can when you can as much as you can. Even then, know that it may not be enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment