Monday, July 6, 2009

The Sputnik Moment

The inspiration for this post (i.e. credit or blame) goes to @dtapscott for tweeting about about a documentary on Youtube. It's called "The Sputnik Moment" and you can find it here.

The comparison and contrast to the present is my own. Frankly, this is a rant.

The movie describes the fears that motivated 1950s Americans to get in the space race. Americans were able to recognize a threat to their well being and to their standard of life.

I don't think that modern America has that foresight. There's a current threat to our well-being. It's about the dollar, where we spend it and how we borrow it. We also need to look at the choices we've made for the past three decades. We've sold our agriculture, manufacturing and banking to foreign interests.

This sounds like a blog about protectionism, but maybe it's a blog about networking.

There's a tech consulting company that has a branch in Boise. Their headquarters is in India. I understand that they're paying local people to do the work, and that's great. My question is, "What value is being added to the service by having headquarters in India?" They certainly aren't cheaper.

The Sputnik Moment shows a nation mobilizing its education system to produce scientists and engineers. There was a groundswell of support that pushed our nation into space. The push came from middle class America. Our middle class is a dying breed now. All the good paying jobs that require higher education and skills are heading out of the country.

What is causing the push? I think it's the investor. If a CEO of a publicly traded company doesn't perform annually, they're gone. Investors demand the best bottom line FOR THE QUARTER. Who cares whether the widgets could come from local companies that provide synergy for a penny more? Not investors.

Yet in my business, I'm willing to spend $30 more for a box of business cards because I have a relationship with the vendor. They'll throw me business and I'll do my best to do the same. As long as vendor quality is good, I'll pitch leads.

America's new economy may be the service economy. We'll provide bodies for call centers, outlet malls and fast food joints.

The moral? Every penny you spend is a vote. Spend them wisely, in the places that will benefit you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment